Be sure to check out more from PHD Comics, as well.
Nevertheless, what it says is still, sadly, very true.
Warning: may not be entirely “work safe.”
Here’s the lowdown:
- The program runs in your system tray (sorry… taskbar notification area)
- Double-clicking on it shows you how many days are left until Christmas
- Right-clicking brings up a menu where you can choose to display a different screen with the countdown on it, get “about” information, or exit the program.
- I’m a nice programmer, so I did not make this program add itself to your start-up group. You have to start it on your own.
- The program does check for updates each time you open it – you can’t turn this off, but you don’t have to install updates if you don’t want to. It won’t install them without your permission.
- The source code is available for anyone who wants to see how it’s done.
The requirements are simple:
- Windows 98 or higher
- .NET Framework 2.0 or greater
That’s the icon there, the yellow and green balls. Yeah, I’m not good with icons, I know.
Right-click on the icon and this is what you get. Simple, eh?
Clicking “Show Countdown” gets you this fun screen. The rest you can figure out on your own.
My old roomate in college used to argue that Bill most certainly DOES live here, since I used (and still use) Windows on my main machine.
I still laugh at this one. (Click for larger image.)
Please don’t sue me, Microsoft. (A friend of mine in college actually made this image, not me. I don’t have even that much graphic talent.)
This was topical back in the day (click the pic for the full-size image), and it still amuses me today. Again, it’s a shame Sharkey stopped drawing it…
Well, that’s all for now.