Wow, has it really been 10 years?
Yes, it has – officially 10 years ago, on May 27th, 2003, WordPress was released.
As part of the WordPress 10th Anniversary Blogging Project, I figured I would I’d share some of my memories of using WordPress over the years.
Back in 2003, when WordPress was first released:
- I was still using Windows 2000 on my home computer (I did use XP at work – cutting edge at the time!)
- We were only on the 2nd Matrix movie, “The Matrix Reloaded”
- I was still using the “Mozilla Suite,” the descendent of “Netscape Communicator.” (It wasn’t until next year that it was split into Firefox & Thunderbird)
- We had just lost the Space Shuttle Columbia a few months prior
- The iPod was only on its 3rd iteration, and the iPhone was still a distant dream
- Slim flip-phone cell phones were all the rage
- The Concorde made its last commercial flight
I didn’t start using WordPress myself until a little bit after its release – until around December 1st, 2005, in fact.
When I started using WordPress in 2005:
- We were just starting to lament that schools were switching to using Java (the horror!) to teach programming
- I still had a CRT TV in my living room (and on my computer – though I had just gotten an LCD display at work, and I’d soon get one at home as well)
- Digital Rights Management came into the spotlight with the discovery of Sony’s rootkit that silently installed when you inserted a music (!!) CD in your computer.
- This was the year I took down my old hand-coded personal site (which was old, dated, and not really very good) in favor of this blog.
- And, of course, 2005 is the year I unexpectedly found myself living with my two wonderful rabbits
In all that time, I’ve switched WordPress themes more times than I can count – and upgraded and installed numerous useful (and sometimes silly) plugins.
Still, it’s amazing to see how far WordPress has come. It’s been a great 10 years, and I’m looking forward to 10 more!
Happy 10th birthday, WordPress!